Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Soup Kitchen That Serves Spirit

  Being a 21 year old girl who grew up in a middle class in the suburbs of Chicago, I really had no idea what to expect at a soup kitchen.  When I walked in all of the people just stared at me.  I felt so out of place.  I finally found Helen Manson, the kitchen coordinator, and she gave me the run down on what would be going on.  I went into the kitchen to start getting some video of the volunteers serving.  

  There was a window in the wall that the volunteers would serve the food through. When the residents saw the camera, they instantly began asking questions.  They made it very clear that they wanted nothing to do with being on camera or answering questions.  
 
After talking to the volunteers, I began to understand why no one wanted to talk. If I were in their position, I wouldn't want to talk either. Some of these people come in
religiously every week. Now that the kitchen is open twice a week, the volunteers will see them more. One volunteer even said that he had a sneaking suspicion that
this might be the only time during the week that some of these people eat. Hearing that is heart breaking.
 
While each resident attending the dinner has a sad story, the volunteers are incredibly positive. They had nothing but good things to say about the city of Holts Summit and how it's always willing to help no matter the circumstance. The
people who come in every week have become like family to the volunteers. They sit and eat with each other and share stories. It's so easy to see the bond that these people share, and it makes you feel good all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment