Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Food for Thought


I recently listened to a story from "All Things Considered" called "Must Hear: Rules For Eating."  It caught my attention because it was under the food category, and I was curious to see what it said now that I'm trying to eat healthier.  

Food is something that everyone can relate to.  We all need it to survive.  And it seems like everyone is looking for a way to lose a few pounds or stop eating so much junk.  This story really made it obvious for me just how important a headline is, even though it's not a print story.  "Must Hear: Rules For Eating."  This headline makes it sound like you have to listen to it.  If it would've just said "Interview With Michael Pollan," I probably wouldn't have listened to it.

This story was obviously all about food.  They talked about some of the rules in Pollan's book, "Food Rules," and the things that are in it.  They also did something kind of fun, where Pollen was called the "high priest" and people came to him with their "food sins."

What was different about this part of the segment was that they didn't just find people off the street.  They turned to their newsroom.  I really like this idea.  I think that it was good of them to ask other anchors and reporters, because they are who the public know.  The listeners may not feel as self conscious about their bad eating habits if they know that the people they listen to everyday do the same things.

This story taught me to ask those around us.  Talk to people who the audience will feel comfortable listening to.  People who others trust.  

No comments:

Post a Comment