Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ideas from Others

I listened to "Stories Pitched by Our Parents," on This American Life.  This is an established radio station who was broadcasting their 400th radio show.  They decided for this great accomplishment, they wanted their show to be like something they've ever done before.  The decision was to do stories that were pitched by their parents

I can kind of relate to this, because my parents always try to offer story ideas.  The ideas can be funny sometimes, because they obviously don't know everything that goes in to creating a broadcast story.  Regardless of how possible, or impossible a story may be, they are always willing to help.

This story taught me that there is nothing wrong with this.  I always felt guilty, and almost weak, when I struggle to find a story.  While this station was doing it for fun, they still had no problem doing it.  It showed me that parents, or family of any kind, are a viable source for story ideas.  

While the ideas may seem so radical and "out there" it will never happen, maybe they can.  Maybe, if you just dig down deep and put everything you have into this story, it will happen.  The idea is coming from your family, the people who love you the most and just want to see you succeed.

I learned that the next time my parents offer an idea, take it and run with it.  See how to look at it from a smaller scale, and make it about Mid-Missouri.  Don't be embarrassed about not being able to find a story.  Take their idea with pride and thanks, and see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment