Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Element of Surprise

When I listen to radio stories on the internet.  I try to only click on the link and not read the description.  I figure I should listen to the story the way I would if I were driving in the car listening and just be totally surprised.  So, I did the same thing when I listened to "Save The Day" on This American Life.  

I knew from the title that the story would be about someone doing something great or heroic.  I didn't know what they would do or who would be saving what, but something would be saved.

Listening to the beginning of the story, that's not exactly the feeling the listener gets though.  It started talking about a school age boy, Luke Davies, moving and not fitting in.  The class went on a field trip a tourist park where his dad worked.  Luke got to help with the snake show, able to show off to his classmates. The trainer he was helping in the show was bit by a tiger snake, which is very poisonous.  It was then up to Luke to save the man.

I really like this story for a couple reasons.  The first is because it has the element of surprise.  As your listening to Luke talk about his past, he sounds like any normal adolescent- someone who is having problems finding themselves and making friends.  As the story goes on, you learn that he is brave and saved a man's life.  It taught me how important it is not to give anything away at the beginning.  The anchor could have easily started the story with Luke talking about collecting the snakes and the trainer being bit.  But instead, he had Luke talk about his life before the field trip, and moving and how special he felt because his dad worked there.  I learned that saving things until the end makes the story more interesting.

I also really like the way the story was told.  The anchor let Luke tell the story.  Every once in a while the anchor would come in and tell part of the story, but it was very natural.  But, it was Luke who told the entire story.  This reinforced how important it is to have good sound bites and a good central character.  They are the ones who are the expert about something.  Not me.  I learned that I need to let the central character tell their story, and I need to be there to help out when necessary.  I don't need to be the one talking the entire time, I can let the character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment