Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trusting Your Instincts


A few weeks ago I did a story about a store downtown Columbia called "The Butterfly Tattoo."  Around the time of the story, Columbia was preparing for the annual "True/False Film Festival."  I had heard through the grapevine that this gift shop was getting very involved in the film festival.  This year, the store was in charge of all of the merchandise and checking in volunteers.  

I got to the store and wanted to interview the owner, Amanda Vandertuig.  I began my interview and things were going well, and then people working for the film festival came in and she had to talk to them.  It was nice though, because it gave me time to prepare more questions.  

I finished my interview and started getting cutaways and shots of the new merchandise.  But that was all there was in the store.  There were no people.  I instantly freaked out because I wasn't going to have a story.  How can I talk about volunteers without showing them?

Amanda had to leave and her other employee came in.  Once the other girl, Erynn, started working, the store really picked up.  Volunteer after volunteer came in.  I couldn't have been more excited.  I talked to a couple of them and got shots of them signing in and looking at merchandise.  It was perfect.

This story taught me that if you have the time, use it.  I could have left when Amanda left and looked for a new story.  But, I stayed and crossed my fingers and ended up with something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment