Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Go Outside the Lines


I listened to a WGBH Morning Story recently.  I love these stories.  I like how each story is a feature and they focus on one person.  They people they find are so interesting and I always want to be able to talk to them more.  I hope that someday I can have sources like that, and leave the audience wanting more.  

This story started by talking about making an "Earth sandwich."  This is when you and someone on the complete opposite side of the planet put a piece of bread on the ground.  Corny--yes, but it's a nice idea.  The thought of getting in touch with someone and talking about putting bread on the ground is an interesting concept in itself. 

Tony Kahn called the woman in Xian, China and talked to her for the segment.  He asked her questions about western culture and words that she thought he should know.  Things along those lines.

While I know I wouldn't be able to use a source half way around the world, I just love the idea.  This story taught me that I need to step outside of my comfort zone and get the opinions of everyone.  A story I'm covering may effect people in different ways.  I need to look for those people who see things differently and get their opinions.  Just because a person may not be there with me in the moment doesn't mean i can't go looking for them to get their side of the story, or their opinion.  

I need to work on getting out there and talking to absolutely everyone in my power.  Because in reality, we're all a lot closer and have more things in common than people may think.

No comments:

Post a Comment